Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Peer Review Recap Part 4

Peer review was more useful to me in the beginning of the course. I would present an actual draft of my work and have my peers critique it. However, as the semester went on, the helpfulness of peer review kind of went to the wayside. It is really hard to get attempt to provide a meaningful draft when your peers are not going to. Add in the pressure of having things that would actually be due to turn in for grade due on the same days as peer review essays, and you have not much motivation to complete a full draft.

I think that I have learned to be honest with other people about their writing. If you sugar coat it for them, they will not learn anything. Fear of hurting someones feelings can just lead to them turning in a piece of bad writing, which would probably be more detrimental to them in the long run. If something sucks, let them know!

I have learned to take my classmates' advice into consideration. There are a lot of good writers in your classes when you get to this level in your education. Some are really insightful. Granted, there are still those that don't know what they are doing or talking about, but there are not too many of those.

No comments: