Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Section 2: Blog 1: Picturing Texts

I chose one of my favorite websites to navigate, http://www.puma.com. I can spend hours shopping on it, even if I really do not intend to buy anything. The way the site is set up illustrates one of the many concepts addressed in "Picturing Texts" beautifully: classification. The main page is divided in to four major categories: Shop, Sport, Sport Fashion, and Sport Lifestyle. This makes it easier to understand what you can expect to find on the site. Without these categories, you could spend tons of time searching for the women’s shoe line or a man’s sweatshirt. The categories allow you to move right to the section that you want to look through.
Obviously, I go to the women’s section. This category is divided even further into sub categories: footwear and apparel. This makes it easier for girls like me who might need a sweatshirt, but can’t bear to look at the shoes without making a purchase. The categorization of these things allows me to bypass the shoes that I love so much without being tempted to buy. If the categories that "Picturing Texts" mentions weren’t incorporated into this site, I would end up with empty pockets.

No comments: